Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Nepal Part 2: Everest Base Camp

Nepal Part 2: Everest Base Camp


After a lot of research we decided to do the the Everest Base Camp (EBC) trek on our own; we went without a porter (to carry our stuff) or a guide. The best argument I could find for hiring a guide is economical benefits to the local economy; however, this region is much better off than the rest of Nepal and the act of coming and being a tourist here will help continue this positive trend for the region. We did not hire a porter because we didn't want to watch someone carry all of our stuff up the hill for us. That being said, 90% of the people we encountered had a porter and a guide. If you want to do the trek all I can recommend is to do research and see what you think best fits your preference. I would discourage hiring western companies, they are over priced and don't help the locals very much.

Why did I decide to do this? Nepal, along with many of my past travel choices was chosen by looking at a map and airfare prices. I always wanted to visit India and that was my starting point when I came across Nepal as an interesting destination that was nearby. The more I read about Nepal the more I became interested in doing a trek. I invited my step dad, Rick, and once he decided he wanted to go the rest just fell into place.

Was it hard? Yes. You walk all day every day for a minimum of twelve days in high altitude and the hiking itself is not exactly easy. Some parts are more difficult than others but the high altitude and long distances makes the whole thing pretty hard. It was harder than I expected, but not too hard for anyone in decent shape.Anyway, here are some of my favorite pictures.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment